Welcome to Business Environment Reform Facility (BERF), funded by the UK Department For International Development (DFID) . Whether you are a donor expert, a consultant in the field, a developing country practitioner, or just an interested person, you are welcome to browse our library of reports and materials on the topic of business environment reform. You could see a full list of publications, or search the site by theme, country, or type of activity. We hope that you find something useful and welcome your feedback. BERF supports DFID’s priority Country Offices and Teams to initiate, improve and scale up Business Environment Reform programmes. Our work began in January 2016 and continues until January 2019.
BERF provides expert advice, analysis of lessons learned, policy research about what works and what doesn’t and develop innovative new approaches to engaging stakeholders, including businesses and consumers in reform.
BERF has a strong emphasis on strengthening the Business Environment for women and girls, and young adults in general It works to improve the relationship between business and the physical environment including where relevant, including through linkage to climate change analysis.
BERF undertakes political economy analysis in order to underpin business environment reform.
BERF supports DFID in designing new programmes for business environment reform, improves existing programmes, and more effectively learns and records lessons from other donor experience.
We produce policy research to improve DFID’s knowledge and implementation of business environment reform and encourages innovative approaches to stimulating demand for reform by local stakeholders.
For more information please click on the links below:
- Evidence & Learning led by Itad
- Technical Support led by DAI
- Policy Research and Stakeholder Engagement led by KPMG which also manages the overall programme.
The core consortium of BERF (KPMG, DAI, Itad) works with a wider consortium of delivery partners including:
- The Policy Practice,
- Triple Line,
- Law and Development Partnership,
- Restless Development,
- Social Development Direct and
- BERF on Twitter
- DFID Economic Development Strategy: Prosperity, Poverty, and Meeting Global Challenges
- Legal Assistance for Economic Reform (LASER)
- Land: Enhancing Governance for Economic Development (LEGEND)
- World Bank: Women, Business and the Law
- Donor Committee for Enterprise Development (DCED)