Technical Support: Diagnosis, Design, and Implementation Assistance
- Afghanistan: Harakat Organisational Review and Design
- Afghanistan: Business Environment Reform Diagnostic for Harakat
- Ghana: Business Enabling Environment Programme (BEEP) – Design of a Monitoring and Evaluation Framework
- Ghana: BEEP Phase III Project Completion Report
- BERF Jordan Business Environment Reform Assessment
- Kenya – Business Environment Diagnostic and Export Strategy
- Kenya: Investment Climate Reform Scoping Study
- Kenya: Creative Economy Diagnostic and Public Private Dialogue
- Montserrat: Business Environment Capacity Building
- Mozambique: Renewable Energy Diagnostic
- Mozambique: Forestry Sector Business Environment Diagnostic
- Mozambique: Diagnostic Assessment on BE Constraints on Youth Entrepreneurship
- Mozambique Scoping Assessment for Economic Governance
- Sierra Leone Business Enviornment Diagnostic Report May 2017
- St Helena: Diagnostic Review and Stakeholder Engagement
- Sudan: Review of Business Environment Constraints
- Zimbabwe: Review of ZIMBISA
- Business Environment Reform Diagnostic Process
The objective is to deliver significant improvement in programme design, re-design and implementation of Business Environment reform in accordance with the needs of DFID Country Offices.
Light touch diagnostic reviews
An initial ‘light touch’ diagnostic review leads to a Business Environmentreform readiness report and establishes basic BE reform needs and approaches. The review is normally desk-based following remote consultation with the Country Office.
Full diagnostic reviews
BERF consultants produce a detailed Business Environment reform diagnostic to assess which reforms could have the greatest impact linked to national growth strategies and priorities, given the country’s capacity to resource reforms and political economy influences on government decisions and on private sector engagement in the reform process. The diagnostic leads to a BE reform readiness report.
BERF develops improved BE reform diagnostic tools (both light touch and full diagnostics) that can be used in the future by Country Offices. Local stakeholders are engaged in preparatory investigations and political economy analyses identify underlying interests and institutional incentives. Gender analysis is incorporated into the diagnostic process.
BE reform design and implementation
The design process engages stakeholders in identifying and prioritising BE reform, for example,
- through public-private dialogue at multiple levels;
- analyses the local political and economic contexts and local actors’ incentives; and
- quantifies the benefits of reform and the impact of changes in good governance on private sector development.
- BERF’s consultants then provide design and implementation assistance at the national and sub-national levels.
Technical assistance through DFID Country Offices to Development Partners on BE reform
The objective of technical support includes providing DFID Country Offices and their local development partners with support services at short notice, taking advantage of windows of opportunity as political circumstances change
On-demand BE reform response
The rapid response service offers high quality technical assistance to DFID Country Offices and to partner governments. BERF offers expert tailored assistance to meet urgent Business Environment reform needs from Consortium members’ Pool of Consultants and academic partners.